Want to make the most out of your next eye appointment? Here’s what you need to discuss. OptiExpress provides comprehensive eye exams, contact lens fittings, a gallery of designer frames, and a one-hour onsite lab.
Having healthy vision is extremely important. It helps us perform our job tasks well, it ensures that we are capable of driving, and it just helps us live our lives happily and healthfully. So, it’s important to check the health of our eyes periodically — just to ensure everything is working as it should.
However, most of us only schedule eye exams every other year, so making sure that those eye examinations are as thorough and helpful as possible is critical. Do your best to be prepared so that everything that affects your vision is addressed during your visit.
Here are a few questions you should ask your eye care professional during your next appointment.
- Is there anything that I should do to improve my vision and the health of my eyes? It isn’t unusual for patients to wonder if they can play a more active role in the health of their eyes. If you already have an eye condition, such as glaucoma, cataracts or macular degeneration, your eye doctor has already probably given you guidelines, tips, and instructions for keeping your eyes as healthy as possible and managing your condition effectively. However, if you don’t currently have issues with your vision, it might not occur to you that there are things that you can do to make sure your vision stays excellent for the long term. Being as proactive as possible about your health and wellness can help you stay strong, active, and happy throughout your life.
- What do you consider to be the best corrective lenses for my eyes? It isn’t unusual for doctors to struggle with making recommendations for certain products, simply because they don’t want to appear to have any financial interests in any particular brand. However, most consumers want and expect their eye care professional to suggest medical devices and corrective lenses that are the best for their needs, regardless of how much those lenses and devices cost. Ask your eye care professional what the absolute best vision correction options are so that you can decide how to proceed.
- Is my computer use affecting my vision? The overwhelming majority of Americans use computer screens and digital communications devices for more than two hours every day. This frequent use can lead to symptoms of digital eye strain, such as dry eyes, eye pain, itchy eyes, headaches, and backaches. Your eye care provider can recommend treatments, preventative measures, and possibly blue-light-blocking glasses to address this issue.
- Should I take steps to protect my eyes in my workplace or at home? This question opens the door for a conversation about eye safety. The topic of eye safety will encompass your lifestyle choices as well as your professional obligations, and your eye doctor will suggest strategies or tools to help keep your eyes protected. Some of these tools might include certain types of protective eyewear, ultraviolet light protection, types of contact lenses, and contact lens maintenance. Work-related injuries to the eyes are extremely common in numerous professions. Every day, approximately 2,000 workers require medical intervention due to eye injuries suffered at workplaces in the United States, according to records from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Discuss the conditions at your place of work, in addition to your duties, so that you and your eye care professional can determine whether or not additional eye protection is necessary. Additionally, if you participate in outdoor activities, you might need eye protection. If you play a lot of sports, go skiing, or spend a lot of time near the water, you will likely need protective eyewear with 100 percent UV protection.
- When should I schedule my next appointment? Your eye care appointment schedule will be based upon your eye health, your age, and medical history. It’s important to maintain your eye care schedule so that you can diagnose and address any medical abnormalities quickly.
If you need to make an appointment for a comprehensive eye exam, the professionals at OptiExpress will be more than happy to accommodate you.
OptiExpress founder Dr. J. Michael Witherington is one of Ft. Myers’s most trusted optometrists having practiced in South Florida for more than twenty years. To schedule an eye exam at our Ft. Myers or Cape Coral location, please visit our contact page.